Our true IP is our culture.
“If you find unique ways to pull disciplines together, you open up experience for people. … You solve problems that people didn’t even know they had and build products they couldn’t live without.” The Creator’s Code, page 137
Over the past few months, we have had many reasons to celebrate at BreezoMeter’s HQ. We launched our air quality API and Cities Solution in nine new countries, and we’ve also begun working with several leading smart cities integrators.
This success is due not only to the novel technology we have developed over the past three-and-a-half years, or to our amazing marketing and sales efforts. Rather, it is thanks to our amazing team and to the unique culture that we have built. There are thousands of books written about companies, and specifically about the startup culture, but to briefly summarize, they all attest that each company is unique and that every company must have its own unique culture.
If you wish to create true innovation, you must think and act differently. After doing precisely that for the past two years, I can summarize our unique culture in the following ten key mantras:
- Various disciplines work together towards a common goal. Our belief is that if you bring together in the same room an air pollution expert, a meteorology expert, big data engineers, product specialists, and marketing and sales professionals, magic will inevitably happen. We believe that every new person who joins the team brings a different background or point of view to help us achieve our mission.
- We aren’t on time; we are ahead of our time. We strive to be ahead of our schedule in every aspect of the game. (After all you must agree that being promoted by the UN or the White House is not the usual marketing plan in post-seed startups.)
- We want success as much as we want to breathe!
- We improve from our failures and celebrate our successes! We try to celebrate every new achievement, customer, feature, etc., but we also perform an honest post mortem on every milestone we achieve (or don’t achieve) to know how we can improve. We go beyond blame.
- Think like an owner. We provide freedom and flexibility in exchange for high performance.
- We are transparent and direct – that is necessary for making great decisions; there is no room for a yes man on our team. Read more on our amazing lead developer’s blog.
- Two ears, one mouth. We ask, listen, learn and collect as much data as we can.
- We honor our commitments and help each other to fulfill their commitments.
- The sales goal is not only the sales team goal; the R&D goal is not only the R&D team goal; every goal is the company goal.
- Last, but not least, it is not just about us; it is about billions of people around the world. Our greatest drive and motivation is not only to provide the best product and service, but to really improve health and quality of life for 3.5 billion people who live with unsafe air quality.
More than 50 million people are already improving their health thanks to our amazing team.